Make Healthy Eating Fun!
Instead of ‘tasting the rainbow’ according to Skittles candy, encourage kids to eat healthy by tasting the rainbow of fruits and veggies available throughout the year! Here are some ideas for each color:
- Red – Strawberries, raspberries, red pepper, tomatoes, red apples, pomegranate, cherries, radishes
- Orange – Carrots, orange pepper, oranges, kumquats, clementines, yams, honeydew, papaya
- Yellow – corn, squash, yellow pepper, sweet potatoes, yellow zucchini, lemon, banana
- Green – broccoli, peas, green beans, green apples, kiwi, lettuces, cucumber, green grapes, pears
- Blue – Blueberries (can anyone think of anything else)?
- Purple – eggplant, grapes, marion berries, blackberries, red/purple beets, purple onion
- White – cauliflower, potatoes, jicama, coconut, white onion
Have fun, make it a game, and encourage suggestions from the kiddos! Maybe they will even want to help with dinner!