Tagsbalance burn calories classes dancer dessert diet eccentric contraction endorphins energy exercise fiber fitness flexibility foam roller fruits fun gluten-free groupon health Joseph Pilates lose 10 pounds men minerals muscle nutrition nuts pilates pleasure posture private training protein salad salmon schedule seeds sex slim strength tips vegan vegetables vitamins website wellness workplace wellness
May 4, 2013 – International Pilates Day
Come on down to Portland Pilates at 134 SE Taylor Street – We’ll be hosting an open house for International Pilates Day this Saturday, May 4th, from 12-2 pm. There will be free 20 minute group classes at 12:30 and 1:30 pm, free 5-10 minute equipment demos throughout, and raffle prizes including a free private lesson!
This is a great opportunity to meet the instructors, munch on some healthy snacks, sample the equipment, and meet other fitness enthusiasts in a fun, relaxing environment.
Bring cash, check, or card and get ready to buy some classes to keep up the good work!
Please Join Us
We are pleased to announce we are moving closer into central Portland! As beautiful as Sellwood is, it is admittedly a schlep for many people – so now we are in inner SE at Portland Pilates Collective!
The space is beautiful – right next to the waterfront walking/running/biking loop and a hop, skip and a jump from Downtown, this studio has all the equipment you could need for AWESOME Pilates sessions…plus you cannot beat the exposed brick of the buildings in this up and coming area. You can leave class and head to Clark/Lewis or Produce Row for drinks and dinner! Find Portland Pilates Collective at:
134 SE Taylor Street (corner of SE 2nd and Taylor) Portland, OR 97214
We will see you there for new classes starting in May. Check out our updated class schedule!
Check out the following article on Collaborative Consumption, written by Jeremiah Owyang; not only did I do all of the research on all 200 companies, but also I am a member of a couple of the collaborative consumption sites! Taskrabbit, an online task network, offers skilled and unskilled labor on demand; Wello offers online personal training! In fact, I will be teaching a Wello session this afternoon!
Keep an eye out for online Pilates/fitness classes from Rachel Rettman – Fitness. Nutrition. Lifestyle. The fun is just beginning!
A Research Focus: Collaborative Economy
My next Open Research report (see body of work) will be on the Rise of the Collaboration Economy. If you’d like to be interviewed for this upcoming report, please fill out this submission form. In my career as an analyst, I often list out all the players in a category, announce a formal research effort, then publish a series of analysis, this is part of my continuing methodology. I’ll also be presenting my findings as a speaker at LeWeb, whose theme “Digital Hippies” is directly themed on this trend. Thanks to friend Loic Lemeur for triggering this idea.
[Collaborative Economy Defined: A digital system that manages the coordination of buyers and sellers who offer and exchange used products and remnant services]
The Three Categories of Collaborative Economy Markets
Within this market, there are multiple use cases, right now, we see the following three categories:
|First Collaborative Market||Manufactures and business owners that are now offering products for rent or barter||BMW and Toyota have made motions to offer cars from their lot for rent –beyond selling them.|
|Second Collaborative Market||Often denoted as the “Used or Second Hand” market a consumer may offer to rent or lease of used products or remnant services.||Lyft allows for any consumer to act like a taxi, and pick up members of the service. Craigslist and eBay (disclosure: client) empowers the selling of used products, worldwide|
|Third Collaborative Market||Barter, gifting, or non-currancy exchanges of used products or remnant services.||Toyswap allows parents to exchange toys with other parents, rather than purchase products that their kids will outgrow. Giftflow encourages users to ask for what they need, then to help others in the future, paying it forward|
Market Rises: Media Attention, Over $2billion in Funding
There’s been remarkable media attention on this topic as vendors like AirBnB, Lyft, Uber, and TaskRabbit have gained the attention of the media. Even battles against this category have emerged in San Francisco, as well as in Amsterdam on unofficial places of rent. We don’t foresee this space to go down, as cursory analysis indicates that there’s been a whopping $2billion in venture funding into this category, out of a sample of 200 startups. A spin out from the consumer social networking category, this movement will have significant runway before true winners are decided.
Disruptions to CPG, Retail, Service Industry Government
Also, there are extensive disruptions to companies who create products or services. If this trend continues at the speed of current trajectory, it can force retail and product based companies to acquire startups in this space, or offer products in their own stores for lease or barter. Furthermore, governments are displaced if the barter economy rises, and tax revenues are diminished as people share products –with no money exchanged. Lastly, we’re seeing new forms of untraditional currency emerging, including peer to peer BitCoin which is not backed by any federal reserve note, nor precious metal –it’s backed by processing power.
How You Can Get Involved with this Research
- Submit a startup in the comments below
- Request to be interviewed for this upcoming Open Research report in this web form.
- Share this post with others.
List of 200 Companies in the Collaborative Economy
Using the spirit of this space, I contacted a TaskRabbit (thanks Rachel) to conduct significant research, over 22.5 hours to aggregate a list of startups in this space, from a variety of sources. This database will be the primary source of a sample which I’ll use to parse out trends and data types for this upcoming report.
- Personal Services
- Miscellaneous Services
- Car sharing
- Uber Everyone’s Private Driver
- Zipcar Wheels when you want them
- Sidecar Connects people with space in their car to those who need a ride
- Lyft Your Friend with a Car
- GoGet Get going fast. Never look back.
- WhizzCar Wheels on Demand (Singapore)
- Autoshare Keys to Wonderful (Toronto)
- Stattauto CarSharing – Munich Germany
- CarSharing CarSharing Austria (operated by Zipcar)
- Zazcar Car Share Brazil
- City Car Club Book, jump in, drive away…
- Cambiocar CarSharing
- Autolibre Car Share – very small cars, maybe electric with battery packs and stations around France to recharge. No English translation
- Car sharing (from big automobile manufactures)
- Peer-to-Peer Car Sharing
- Whipcar Rent cars from real people in your neighborhood
- RelayRides Rent Cars from People in Your Community
- Drivemycar Rentals Rent Out Your Car
- Getaround Rent a car from someone nearby
- Tamyca Take My Car
- Buzzcar Borrow the Car Next Door (Europe)
- SnappCar The Ideal Car Loan – Netherlands
- Nachbarschaftsauto German Neighborhood Car Share
- Autonetzer Car Rentals Near YOU
- Bike sharing
- Velib Parisian Bike Share
- Bixi Canadian Bike Share (Montreal)
- Barclays Cycle Hire Transport for London (Brand)
- B-Cycle Pedal it Forward.
- Call-A-Bike Call A Bike – Munich
- CyclOcity Bicycle Freedom (Europe and starting in Japan)
- Niceride Twin-Lakes Bike Sharing System (Minnesota)
- HZ Bike China Bike Share
- Social Bicycles GPS-enabled Bikes
- Spinlister (rebranded as Liquid) peer to peer bike rental
- Ride sharing
- Zimride Grab a Seat. Save money and meet people heading your way.
- Nuride Get rewards for greener trips
- Liftshare Travel Together UK
- Jayride Travel A to B with Jayride – UK/Ireland, AUS, NZ
- GoCarShare Life’s a journey…share it
- Carpooling Join the leading Global carpooling network!
- Caronetas Smart Rides – Brazil
- DuckSeat Ridesharing for Events
- Avego Welcome to Avego, your ride sharing network
- Amovens Find ridesharing partners
- Tickengo Click to get a ride
- Solar Power
- Toy Rental
- Textbook Rental
- Art Rental
- Fashion Renta
- Bag Borrow or Steal Heart-Stopping Style http://www.bagborroworsteal.com/
- Fashionhire Why Buy When You Can Hire http://www.fashionhire.co.uk/
- Shopittome Your favorite brands. Yours sizes. 40-70% off. http://www.shopittome.com/
- Love Me and Leave Me Rent or buy designer fashion http://www.lovemeandleaveme.com/
- Rent The Runway Like Netflix, but with fantastic dresses and accessories http://www.renttherunway.com/
- The Outnet The most fashionable fashion outlet http://www.theoutnet.com/
- Netflix Watch TV shows and movies anytime, anywhere www.netflix.com
- Quickflix Smart Movies http://www.quickflix.com.au/
- LoveFilm Out of thie world films http://www.lovefilm.com/
- General Online Rental
- Getable Equipment rental from your mobile phone http://construction.getable.com/
- AnyHire Your hire and rental marketplace http://anyhire.com/
- Toolspinner Find tools in your area http://www.toolspinner.com/
- Snapgoods Want it. Get it. Give it back. http://snapgoods.com/
- Peer-to-Peer Rental
- Zilok Zilok – Rent anything, On-line! Rentals from Businesses and Individuals. http://us.zilok.com/
- Neighborgoods Save money and resources by sharing stuff with your friends http://neighborgoods.net/
- Rentoid The place to rent anything http://www.rentoid.com/
- Ecomodo The marketplace of good returns www.ecomodo.com
- HireThings Hire in what you need, hire out what you have http://www.hirethings.co.nz/
- Rentalic Rent anything anywhere (site under construction for another month) http://rentalic.com/
- RentStuff A RentalCompare Company http://www.rentstuff.com/
- Open Shed Why buy when you can share? http://www.openshed.com.au/
- Neighborhood Rental/Share/Market
- Share Some Sugar Why buy when you can borrow? http://www.sharesomesugar.com/
- Neigh*borrow Things people need to use but don’t need to own http://beta.neighborrow.com/
- The Sharehood Meet your neighbors, share with them… http://thesharehood.org/
- Frents Collect and share http://www.frents.com/
- Friends With Things Connect with your neighbors. Borrow things from them or share things with them. Share skills, expertise, local knowledge and more. It’s free. http://friendswiththings.com.au/
- Hey Neighbor! Create your neighbor network! http://heyneighbor.com/pages/home
- Toolzdo Connect with neighbors. Life gets easier. http://www.toolzdo.com/
- Streetbank Sharing in your neighborhood http://www.streetbank.com/splash
- Garage Sale Trail Find sales via your phone http://www.garagesaletrail.com.au/
- Unique Eperiences
- Gidsy Find Unique things to do https://gidsy.com/
- Vayable Book an experience when you travel http://www.vayable.com/
- Sidetour Challenge the Ordinary www.sidetour.com
- Peer-to-Peer Travel
- Airbnb Find a Place to Stay https://www.airbnb.com/
- Globetrooper Globetrooper helps you find travel partners http://globetrooper.com/
- Zozi Explore the Zozi Lifestyle… zozi.com
- Roomorama Quality accomodations for the discerning traveler https://roomorama.com/
- One Fine Stay Live like a local http://www.onefinestay.com/
- Bed and Fed …Be our guest! http://www.bedandfed.co.uk/
- 9Flats The alternative to hotels http://www.9flats.com/
- Errand/Task Networks (general and professional)
- RedBeacon Trusted Pros for a Better Home http://www.redbeacon.com/
- Expert Bids Submit your bids. Get proposals and reviews. Save time and money. http://www.ExpertBids.com/
- Crowdflower “The World’s Largest Workforce – large, data-heavy projects broken into small tasks, distributed to < 1.5 million on-demand global contributors” http://crowdflower.com/
- Taskrabbit Outsource Errands or Tasks at the Touch of a Button http://taskrabbit.com
- Zaarly Life is short. Do what you love. https://zaarly.com/
- Airrun It’s everyone’s personal assistant. http://airrun.com/
- Mytaskangel An online marketplace where people connect to get everyday tasks done in their local communities http://mytaskangel.co.uk/
- Gigwalk Gigwalk connects businesses with the best people to get work done anywhere http://gigwalk.com/
- Airtasker Find people to help you around the home and office. https://www.airtasker.com/
- Social Food Networks
- Gobble Personalized Dinners Delivered https://www.gobble.com/
- Grubwithus Never eat alone on Grubwithus https://www.grubwithus.com/listings
- Eatwithme Food. Photos. Writing. http://www.eatwithme.com/
- Wok+Wine Wok+Wine is the world’s most effective serendipity machine http://woknwine.com/
- Storage Networks
- Storpod Your storage search begins here http://storpod.com/
- Spaceout Your one-stop place for space http://www.spaceout.com.au/
- Sharemystorage Find a place to store http://www.sharemystorage.com/
- Parking Spots
- Parkatmyhouse Smarter Parking https://www.parkatmyhouse.com/
- Parkcirca Take your parking space with you http://www.parkcirca.com/
- Park on my Drive Find a parking space http://parkonmydrive.com
- Shared Studios/Workshops/Workspaces
- 3rd Space Studios 3rd Space Studios benefit from large spaces and studio members with a range of disciplines http://www.nottinghamvisualarts.net/directory/3rd-space
- Techshop Build your dreams here http://www.techshop.ws
- Newworkcity Working for yourself doesn’t have to mean working by yourself. http://nwc.co/
- Studiomates STUDIOMATES is a collaborative workspace of designers, illustrators, bloggers, writers, and developers. http://studiomates.com/
- Bees Office Work alongside amazing people! http://www.beesoffice.com/
- Coloft LAs startup hub http://www.coloft.com/
- Desksnearme Need a space to work? http://desksnear.me/
- Deskwanted Find your ideal working community https://www.deskwanted.com/
- Opendesks OpenDesks helps you find, share, and manage places to meet and work http://www.opendesks.com/
- Desksurfing Coworking spaces around the world http://www.desksurfing.net/
- Social Lending
- Zopa Get a loan today http://uk.zopa.com/
- Prosper We connect people who want to borrow money with people who want to invest money http://www.prosper.com/
- Lending Club Investors earn better returns, borrowers pay lower rates http://www.lendingclub.com/home.action
- Enterprise Den The marketplace for success http://www.enterpriseden.com/
- Qifang P2P Lending for Chinese Student Loans qifang.cn
- Social Currencies
- Ven It’s time for a new kind of money http://vencurrency.com/
- The Liquidity Network Developing a complementary currency for Ireland http://theliquiditynetwork.org/
- Timebanks Building equality and caring community economies through inclusive exchange of time and talent http://timebanks.org/
- Letsystems Local exchange trading system http://www.gmlets.u-net.com/
- Taxi Sharing
- Taxi2 Share. Get there. http://www.taxi.to/
- Taxistop More with less… http://www.taxistop.be/4index.html
- Weeels More riding, less driving, no parking http://weeels.com/
- Ourgoods A barter network for the creative community https://ourgoods.org/
- Itex Connect. Trade. Save. http://www.itex.com/
- Bartercard The card that works for you http://www.bartercard.com.au/
- Tourboarding How to stay and play in China for Free http://tourboarding.com/
- Kickstarter Fund and follow creativitiy www.kickstarter.com
- Startsomegood Igniting Ideas, Investment, and Impact http://startsomegood.com/
- Pozible Crowdfunding creative projects and ideas http://www.pozible.com/
- Crowdcube Raising business finance through online investments http://www.crowdcube.com/
- Catarse The first crowdfunding platform from Brazil http://catarse.me/en
- Doge Dart Registry New rules for buying your car http://www.dodgedartregistry.com/
- Urbangardenshare Urban Garden Share pairs together eager gardeners with eager gardens http://www.urbangardenshare.org/
- Landshare Connecting growers to people with land to share http://www.landshare.net
- Yardshare Front yard, side yard, & backyard landscaping ideas & garden design pictures shared by homeowners and landscape contractors. http://www.yardshare.com/
- Servicevines Cherry pick the best landscapers from your back yard servicevines.com
- Skill Sharing
- Brooklyn Skill Share Community-based, community-led, & community-building learning events organized and taught by Brooklyn residents http://brooklynskillshare.org/
- Skillshare Learn differently http://www.skillshare.com/
- Tradeschool Helps people find a trade school http://www.tradeschool.com
- Weteachme Be interesting https://weteachme.com/
- Floqq What do you want to learn? http://www.floqq.com/
- Optini Social Discovery platforms optini.com
- Big Marketplaces
- Craigslist Online bulletin board http://www.craigslist.org/about/sites/
- Gumtree UK’s #1 Classifieds site http://www.gumtree.com/
- Free/Gift Exchanges
- Freecycle Changing the world one gift at a time http://www.freecycle.org/
- Giftflow Give what you can. Ask for what you need. Pay it forward. http://giftflow.org/
- Ziilch Where good stuff goes free http://ziilch.com/
- Exchango Welcome to the freeconomy! http://exchango.com/
- Freally An online community that help you save money and environment. http://www.freally.com/
- Used Electronics
- Gazelle Sell you phone, iPad or Mac http://www.gazelle.com/
- Ebay Instant Sale Cash in your electronics http://instantsale.ebay.com/
- Apple Recycling Program Reuse and recycling program http://www.apple.com/recycling/
- Swap Sites for Books/Media
- Paperbackswap Your source for swapping and buying books online! http://www.paperbackswap.com/index.php
- Bookmooch Give books away. Get books you want. http://bookmooch.com/
- Swap/Netcycler Swap, buy and sell kids’ items http://valet.swap.com/
- Swapsity Canada’s #1 Swapping Community http://www.swapsity.ca/landing
- Swap Sites Baby Goods/Toys
- Toyswap Swap, Buy, and Sell New and Gently Used Toys www.toyswap.com
- Thredup Just Like a Consignment Shop – But All Online! www.thredup.com
- Kinderado (formerly Tauschteddy) Second hand children’s clother for parents. From parents. http://www.kinderado.de/
- Clothing Swaps
- The Clothing Exchange Imagine a giant clothing store where everything is free… http://www.clothingexchange.com.au/
- 99 Dresses Gain access to an infinite closet http://99dresses.com/
- Poshmark A fun and simple way to buy and sell fashion http://poshmark.com/
- Dig N’Swap Swap, fashionably! http://dignswap.com/
- Rover Find your perfect dog sitter rover.com
- Dogvacay Board your dog in a real home http://dogvacay.com/
- EduFire A social learning community http://edufire.com/
- Udemy Udemy helps students make moves www.udemy.com
- Myngle Language lessons that come to you http://www.myngle.com/
- Glovico A social network where people from developing countries can offer their services as language teachers http://www.glovico.org/
- Livemocha Creating a world without barriers http://livemocha.com/
Summary and Next Steps
This trend is just getting started. Expect many traditional business models to be disrupted as these startups and large companies adopt new methods for deploying and consuming goods and services. Don’t expect more than 20% of these startups to survive as categories will expand and collapse in the traditional innovation market. I’ll keep a continued focus on this market trend over the coming future, please leave a comment with your thoughts and submissions.
December 26, 2012 burn calories, classes, fitness, fun, group reformer class, lose 10 pounds, muscle, new years resolution, pilates, slim, wellness
The new year is almost here and it is time to get healthy! Check out our new subscription pricing options!!
- $45/mo for all Saturday mat classes (approx. $10/class)
- SAVE $15 and pay $120 for advance 3 month purchase (approx. $9/class)
- $100/mo for a permanent weekly class – you pick the day and time, then that’s always your class! (remember some months have 5 weeks so you pay $23/class through subscription)
- SAVE $10 and pay $190 a month for TWO weekly classes (less than $22/class)
- SAVE $15 and pay $285 for 3 months of one weekly class (less than $22/class)
- SAVE $35 and pay $565 for 3 months of TWICE weekly classes (less than $22/class)
These are some SWEET DEALS, and we cannot wait to have you in class getting fit and strong!
Come check out new class formats, like reformer on the jump board, or mat classes in a rotating format (props or not props, that will be the weekly question)!!
Conserve your energy, because it is almost time to tackle those new years resolutions head on. Have fun and see you soon!
October 5, 2012 diet, fiber, fruits, gluten-free, health, nutrition, nuts, salad, starbucks, vegan, vegetables
For the few of us left in the world that do not drink coffee, there is little reason to go to a coffee shop such as Starbucks. Or is there…On a recent trip in for (free, perfectly good tap) water after a long hike, a treasure trove of healthy, interesting, and TASTY food options were sitting on the shelves, much to my satisfied surprise.
Long hailed for its giant donuts/muffins/pound cakes, Starbucks has changed with the times as the times have called for more nutritious options for the working professional on the go. Realizing that this particular Starbucks is a busy outpost in health-conscious Portland, OR, and knowing not all stores are same, here is a list of some of the options available on a Tuesday afternoon:
- Dehydrated fruit chips/freeze dried fruit slices
- Regular cut fruit
- protein plates (think an egg, cheese slices, meat slices)
- high quality trail mix
- air popped popcorn (and pop chips)
- KIND fruit and nut bars
- Raw food bars, local too!
- greek yogurt
- Nice sandwiches without mayo slathered on, with respectable nutrition stats, protein, whole grain bread, etc.
- cut veggies/veggie trays with hummus
- Salads with protein
- Fresh pressed juices, locally bottled (not Odwalla or another national company; something with short shelf life)
- The usual milk, soy milk, and other healthy options available steamed, in a latte, etc.
- numerous gluten free, GMO free, dairy free etc. options
- Also, many of the less healthy treats are much smaller and have calorie content listed
This is impressive!!! A picky, raw-food-eating paleo gluten free vegan could come in here and do just fine. Pretty cool, huh?
Fun fact – Between my first and second year of business school I interned at Starbucks corporate in Seattle – and happened to sit next to a food procurement team. This was 2005, and it was all cookies, cakes, muffins, doughnuts. Exclusively. It was hard to resist (though I did a great job) but now it would be FUN to sit next to that team.
So, the next time you are hard up for a quick healthy meal, head to Starbucks – you can actually get your needs met, walk away feeling satisfied, and even grab and raw food bar for the road!
July 20, 2012 classes, exercise, fitness, health, Joseph Pilates, kids, muscle, pilates, posture, strength, wellness
Check out the following article on learning healthy habits at an early age / Pilates for kids written by Javier Bceiso Blanco of Body Arts and Science International (BASI) in Spain (there is even a photo of him / student in action) –
It is critically important to begin instilling healthy habits at an early age. That is probably how I would sum up everything I have learned as a teacher and as a father.
I have worked with children for 15 years, and observing their physical, mental and spiritual development has been one of the great joys of my life. For me, the Pilates method has proven itself beyond any doubt as an essential aid in the development of children into socially-integrated adults with full physical and mental skills.
It’s a fact that the brain needs to lean on the physical self as it develops a solid basis for cognitive abilities. An example is the child’s use of the fingers when learning to count. At the same time, a healthy mind-body connection contributes to less tangible, but just as important, skills, including open-mindedness, receptiveness to people and healthy habits of discipline. These, together with a strong pedagogical environment and a healthy family environment, create those important educational values which, unfortunately, seem to be on the wane nowadays.
Pilates is just as important for healthy children as it is for those with motor issues. For the latter, it assists in balancing the imbalances caused by their injuries, improving their muscular tone and building coordination, balance, breathing, ROM (range of movement), flexibility, strength and endurance – all of which are just as important for the healthy child. And, of course, all children need to understand their own bodies and develop self-awareness, control, concentration and discipline. Pilates helps every child avoid the modern evils of a sedentary life and obesity – along with all the problems that they entail.
Physical Education and sports as currently taught at school do not cover all the physical and mental dimensions that are necessary for childhood development. And, in many cases, schools reduce the time spent on these activities is favor of more “academic” subjects. At the same time, the US National Association of Physical Education has estimated that 300,000 people die every year due to deficient physical activity and bad diet. This number exceeds the number of people who die as a result of infections, car crashes and substance abuse.
This is the background to BASI’s Pilates for Kids: Healthy Development workshop, which integrates the Pilates method as an extracurricular tool in order to complete the physical education provided in school and to instill healthy habits into young bodies and minds.
The workshop focuses less on education (or re-education) than on maintenance. Children have a natural, inborn movement instinct which automatically reinforces their musculature and, in most cases prevents them from experiencing serious injury. The objective of the workshop is to strengthen and guide this instinct; to prevent it from falling into disuse, which is what happens with most adults.
The program is adaptable to all children and all phases of development, from psycho-motor development at an early age, which enables the child to acquire balance and coordination, through the development of elastic qualities and muscular strength to the development of coordination, fine skills, aerobic capabilities and, finally, maximum muscular strength.
It is important to emphasize that Pilates practice at an early age will avoid – or reduce – potential musculo-skeletal problems in childhood or in later life, as a consequence of bad posture, lack of flexibility, inadequate muscular tone, wrong breathing and bad joint mobility.
If parents and educators were aware of the importance of instilling healthy habits from childhood, many common adult diseases could be avoided. As Dr. Valentin Fuster writes in this book The Health Science “heart attacks suffered from the age of 45 begin to develop in childhood. Between 70% and 90% of the time, they are caused by an unhealthy lifestyle acquired since childhood”.
Pilates for Kids: Healthy Development teaches Pilates professionals to both build programs for children throughout the developmental cycle and to lead them through the process of acquiring discipline and healthy habits in a fun and healthy way.
Google is touring the country with a very cool ‘get your business online’ campaign. They are offering free websites, as well as seminars and tools for promoting and leveraging the web as a business tool. Having attended this workshop, it really is a good opportunity to learn new things and they are giving away $75 towards Adwords and Adwords Express! Oh, and free pens, cookies, M&M’s and other great things 🙂
Some helpful links for other small businesses looking to grow their business online:
These are just a few of the places to begin, and apparently there is a giant bank of people out there waiting to help you set up your Google places, Adwords, etc. accounts. It is always helpful, when trying to navigate the tricky world of online promotion, to get a little friendly assistance (read: be told exactly what to do and how).
Of course Google is doing this for a reason, i.e. driving advertising to its search engine and customers towards its tools; however, regardless of ulterior motives, as a small business owner it is very beneficial to have a whole day of FREE tools and information handed to you without obligation. Plus, local agencies such as Mercycorps, the Portland Business Alliance, SCORE, and more were all on-hand to offer additional advice and potential avenues for resources.
Check out a local event near you; hopefully you can walk away with some new direction!
How does an animal rescue relate to fitness and Pilates? Well…dogs are amazing exercise partners! Not to mention that animals make people happy and happy people are more active and generally involved in life including physical endeavors. Thus, we here at Rachel Rettman – Fitness. Nutrition. Lifestyle. want to spread the word about the Pixie Project online auction for an authentic piece of furniture (Yin Yang table seen below) from the acclaimed movie Fight Club! Check out the YouTube video with author (and donor) Chuck Palahniuk and Amy Sacks of Pixie Project here:
The Pixie Project is expanding in order to help 10 times as many dogs as before! As a dog lover and avid Pixie volunteer this is personally very exciting; the idea of helping more animals is heartwarming and there will be so many more dogs to take on walks and help with leash manners!! Yessss!!!
Please spread the word and tell people about the wonderful donation from famed author Chuck Palahniuk. To bid on the table please click here:http://www.ebay.com/itm/290687911585
While a few more might yet sell in the coming weeks (I have yet to figure out how one can get a Groupon after the deal expires but apparently you can) I have sold a total of 303 Groupons in the last 1.5 months. This is extremely exciting since building a business is a huge challenge and there is only so long a person can survive without covering expenses, going into more debt, etc. before re-evaluating and considering other opportunities.
But as of now things are on track and the business is poised to grow. People are calling and emailing, excited to begin their new fitness plan, and we are delighted to have them on board! Loving what you do is vital to success; working with people who are also excited to have your help and support makes it a lot better and that much more fulfilling.
Now that Groupon is over, it is back to other health-related topics, items, articles, monologues, and so forth.
Lets start here: Happiest (and unhappiest) States in America! The Huffington Post has some interesting articles in its Huffpost Health Living section, like this article: Happy March! 7 In-Season Superfoods.